A collection of our girls' stories and how they continue to keep us young at heart, yet make us gray in doing so.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Feeling Greatly Outnumbered

When Jeff and I decided to have another baby, I kept asking him ... "what will I do when they run in opposite directions?! There will be two of them and only one of me?!"

Ha! That goes to show just how silly we were - running in opposite directions is the least of our worries at this point! Hannah and Adelaide have officially joined forces, and apparently Jeff and I didn't get the memo, so we are left in the only remaining spot ... the opposing team. While we may have the size advantage, we don't have speed, and we definitely don't have the skills necessary to keep up! Since Addi was born, our girls seem to have an inherent way of knowing what the other one is thinking, and at times it seems as if they use it just to see how gray their mother's hair can turn throughout the course of a day. Call it ESP, sisterly intuition or whatever you want ... whatever it is, Jeff and I are in the dark! Not a day goes by when the girls don't use this to their advantage - and I fear it will only get worse once Addi starts talking. They can conspire on a whole new level at that point!

Recently, however, it has all become rather absurd since the cat and dog have joined forces as well. We keep a box of dog treats on a shelf in the entryway, and I watched as Arthur jumped up on the shelf and Penny simultaneously sat down and started wagging her tail in anticipation. I nudged Jeff to look and said, "Silly dog. She thinks the cat is going to give her a treat!"

A minute later I ended up eating my words.

Arthur proceeded to meticulously open the flaps of the box with his paws, reach his head in and pull out a bone. Arthur is a rather strange cat, so I laughed thinking he was going to eat the dog treat he just helped himself to. Nope! He jumps down from the shelf, prances over to Penny and lays the treat by her feet. Jeff looked at me in amazement, and I looked at him in horror ... for I knew the treat was collateral for helping him escape out the screen door earlier that day, which means Arthur and Penny now have an understanding between them ... and I, am officially doomed.

So now that the furry ones are in cahoots, that makes the official count 4 to 2, or 4 to 1 for the majority of each day. And I was worried about TWO of them running in opposite directions! So if you see a crazed lady lugging a baby while chasing a runaway cat with a toddler and a half-brained coonhound running after her - I'd appreciate a kind thought or two to help even out the score until I catch the damn cat. You can still laugh - I know I would! - but a kind word or even a little prayer would be mighty helpful! It only seems fair!

I'm off to take a shower - worked up a sweat chasing the four of them around today!

No comments: