A collection of our girls' stories and how they continue to keep us young at heart, yet make us gray in doing so.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our Very Strong Day

I am one of the few who truly love Minnesota winters. But yesterday definitely put that love to the test. After dropping Hannah off at school, I couldn't get our car up our slippery driveway and into the garage. After a few failed attempts, I then couldn't get our car back down our driveway either. So, there our car sat at a lovely 45 degree angle, smack dab in the middle of the driveway. At the very top of the driveway, I sat, busily cursing the car, our heinously-sloped driveway, the ice and snow covering the damn driveway, our lack of a snow blower, and inevitably ... all things related to Minnesota winters.

But once Addi had woken up from her nap and I had finished giving the ski slope a quick shovel, things started looking up. Still, the only way I could figure out how to get the car off the driveway was to push it down. And the only way to push it down (as far as I could tell) was to be in front of the car. This would leave no one to steer or hit the brakes if oncoming traffic or small children came down the street while our car came barreling down the driveway. I didn't like this part of the plan so much.

Nonetheless, our task began. From her perch on top of a snowbank, I was hoping Addi could give me a heads up as to when cars were coming down the road, as she loves to wave and say "hi" to every one as they pass by our house. Surely she wouldn't fail me now!

Well, that didn't really pan out, but she was the best cheerleader anyone could ask for. Each time I grunted and groaned as I shoved, she also let out her best grunts (which are usually saved for taking those pesky caps off markers) and she would clap and squeal every time I slipped and fell flat on my face. I should have sold tickets!

In the end ... the car made its way to the street, and after throwing some pine needles and such down for traction, we are back in business! When I was telling Hannah of our adventures, she was truly amazed. "But Mama, the car is so heavy. How did you do that? You must have eaten lots of good things in order to be so strong! I want to be strong - can I push a car too?"

Hmmm. Eating good things = strong girls. I couldn't have asked for a better moral of the story! And while you all know pushing our car down the driveway wasn't that great of a feat since we have a relatively small car and our driveway would be better suited as an Olympic ski jump, don't tell Hannah! I'm looking forward to argument-free meals so she can grow up big and strong!