A collection of our girls' stories and how they continue to keep us young at heart, yet make us gray in doing so.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

T-Plus 10 Years. Three Is Practically a Teenager





































Hannah turned 3 today - whoo hoo! But with each new birthday, I grow a bit more fearful as it brings us another year closer to the dreaded teenage years. Argh. I'm not sure we'll survive.

OK, maybe I'm overreacting as we still have many years before Hannah and Addi become official teenagers, but there are days when I swear we're already there due to the insanely high amount of drama in this house!

I should try to focus on the positive - if they're teenagers, that means my job as a parent is practically done! Before Jeff and I got married, our only "pre-nuptials" we talked about was how we were going to raise kids. I told him how I just don't do teenagers, and he gave a big sigh of relief and admitted he just doesn't do babies. So, we agreed to swap! I will raise them when they are young, and officially hand over the torch to Jeff when our kids reach the obnoxious age. We both come out of this thinking we get the better part of the deal. Silly Jeff! I'm not sure he counted on having two girls when we made this pact, however! hee hee! :)

But as I watch our 3-year-old daughter grow, I think that torch is already starting to burn a little brighter each day. Jeff may be stepping up sooner than he thinks, yet I can't imagine letting go of the reigns anytime soon. It's gotta be a great ride with this one!! Hannah is so very passionate in everything she does already. Add teenage hormone levels to the mix, and WEEEEEEEEE!!!

However, we already have a taste of the sassy vibes teenagers are such experts at as well. Here are some of the examples from just this week alone (the list would be quite lengthy if it dated any further back!):

"Mommy, you're not listening ... I said I want some chocolate! I said that two times!"

"Daddy, you're sposed (supposed) to say 'excuse me.'"

"Mommy, I was just waiting, and waiting, and waiting for you to come."
"Hannah, I came as soon as you started calling."
"But you were down the hall - that's a long time for me."

As a whining episode was getting into full swing, I asked her why she thought whining would get what she wanted. Her response: "But I like to whine. I like being 'damatic.' (a.k.a. dramatic.)"
If that isn't the understatement of the year! When Jeff came home I asked him if it was possible for 3-year-olds to have PMS. (It was a particularly trying day!)
I don't know why I'm surprised she may be turning into a teenager sooner rather than later - after all, she's already chosen who she'll marry!

Happy birthday Hannah B!!!! We love you more than anything!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute!! Happy Birthday to Hannah! Love the stories. I think 3 year olds just like to talk and talk and talk. It's a good idea to write it all down!

pixie_dust said...

I don't know how to tell you this, but that's not being a teenager. you'll be stunned by your little angels when they become teenagers and there won't be a question in your mind, that they're there.

pixie_dust said...

pixie_dust = Anya.

there's no excuse or explanation for that one.